YieldGard Corn Borer (YGCB) is a Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) technology that provides season-long control of European and southwestern corn borers. Growers who choose to purchase YieldGard Corn Borer corn are required to implement an IRM program to help prevent the development of insect resistance and preserve the benefits of this Bt technology. In corn growing regions, growers may plant up to 80% of their total corn acres to YGCB. The remaining corn acres (20%) must be planted to a refuge. A refuge is a field of corn that does not contain a Bt technology for the control of European or southwestern corn borers. In cotton growing regions, a grower may choose to plant up to 50% of their total corn acres to YGCB. The remaining corn acres (50%) must be planted to a refuge. Each YGCB field must have a refuge located within 1/2 mile (1/4 mile preferred). Complete IRM requirements and sample refuge planting designs will be presented.
Species 1: Lepidoptera Crambidae Ostrinia nubilalis (European Corn Borer)
Species 2: Lepidoptera Crambidae Diatraea grandiosella (southwestern corn borer)
Keywords: biotechnology, resistance
Back to Display Presentations, Section F. Crop Protection Entomology
Back to Posters
Back to The 2003 ESA Annual Meeting and Exhibition